Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Wonderment



I don't have to blog, but I'm kind of stuck in the habit at the moment! Anyway...

A writer whose work I've only just become acquainted with is Raymond Tallis. (I'm onto student teaching soon, and the majority of my course work is complete. So I can return to my individual pursuits and reading). A book I've been looking forward to is, "In Defence of Wonder". I've only just started reading it, and while his writing style may be somewhat awkward in sections, there are some wonderfully poignant lines. For instance,
"philosophy seeks to achieve most directly the state of wonder which art brings us by indirection". 
At face value I'm not sure I agree with it, but I won't purport to explain it just yet. He's talking more about philosophy either way. I do think the Magritte chosen for the cover (Clear Ideas) works well though. As an aside, something I love about Magritte is that he is usually called a surrealist, yet defies the textbook description of surrealists' motivations. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment