Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Bearable Lightness of Microlattice


Scientists invent lightest material on Earth. What now? - latimes.com

I unfortunately don't have much to add to this story. I just thought it was an attractive image and it reminded me of, "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera (who is Czech like '50%' of me for what it's worth). It also got me thinking about the intersection of art and science. It's been on my mind (more) lately since we had the theoretical physicistJanna Levin give a 'lecture' on what she called, "The Third Culture" at Suny NewPaltz recently.


It's a reference to the C. P. Snow article, "The Two Cultures". To my disappointment, however, that's where she left the discussion. She chose rather to detail various projects her scientist-cum-artist roommates in Flatbush, Brooklyn were involved in. Which is fine, but the gap between the arts and sciences is worth a bit more weighted discussion, especially in respect of education.

0 comments:

Post a Comment